<!– Medium-sized open widget button–!>
<!– End Medium-sized open widget button–!>
Our Work At FFL
It is the purpose of Foundations For Life to develop a continuum of preventive and intervention services to address the reoccurring issues of poor school performance, low standardized test scores, juvenile delinquencies, teen pregnancy, and the decline of morale and moral standards that continue to pervade our community.
Foundations For Life is committed to providing our community with a comprehensive menu of services through which we will enable individuals and families to become academically, socially, and economically self-sufficient. To achieve this goal we offer a variety of programs in the areas of education, leadership, conflict resolution, career development training, as well as community service projects and tutorial assistance for youth. It is our stance that, given the opportunity and the right training, virtually every individual has the power, the ability, and the desire to have a positive impact in their own lives and communities.
Much of what we do is innovative and will seem new to most, yet the basis of our philosophy, the concepts which underpin our mission, are not new at all; these are the development of personal responsibility, civic responsibility, positive attitude and a desire to succeed.
Foundation For Life’s mission is ” to empower and support individuals and families to meet their needs through educational, cultural, and social services”. In execution of this mission FFL has and will continue to forge relationships with other institutions, academic, governmental and private, in the hope of forming mutually beneficial alliances to promote development and empowerment to all of our participants.
FFL integrates the best methods in education, motivational techniques, and guidance practices to act as a nurturing support system to our members and community. We offer a unique method of programming, utilizing cutting edge educational techniques, such as Whole Brain Learning and Accelerated Learning methods, to enhance the quality and effectiveness of our programs, and to ensure that each program is adapted to meet the specific needs of all its participants. We start with the premise that in order for students to truly learn well and easily, they must first be taught how to learn. As such each of our members is trained in the proper approach to learning and studying through our Learning To Learn training and is given an individual regimen designed to address weak points and further strengthen strong points.
NLP, Whole Brain and Accelerated Learning Approach
What sets us apart from virtually any other programs out there is our emphasis on whole brain learning. We have designed our material upon the amazingly effective methods and teachings of Accelerated Learning, and NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), each of which has been shown to monumentally increase student comprehension, performance, and enjoyment. There are a variety of techniques that could go under the heading Accelerated Learning, but at the core what these have in common, and what differentiates the accelerated methodology and NLP as well from the traditional, is a focus upon whole-brain learning. What this means is that instead of teaching/presenting in a predominantly lecture oriented style, this method also incorporates the visual, kinesthetic and emotional aspects as equally important factors in the learning process. We believe that an educational curriculum based on the methodology of Accelerated Learning and NLP provides our participants with an advantage and edge to unlock their full learning potential and to become knowledgeable and willing participants in their own learning process.
(FFL is a member of the International Alliance For Learning – The Professional Organization for Accelerated Learning.)
AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
Foundations for Life’s after school program will address the educational needs of our target population by
- Creating a positive learning environment which will promote educational opportunities that instill a desire for learning.
- Providing assistance with home work to ensure the completion and understanding of school work while creating a model for learning to advance and enforce the learning experience.
- Provide parents with information, training and resources to help them foster their children’s educational growth.
Our emphasis on academics notwithstanding, Foundations For Life also endeavors to address the needs of our youngest population by providing them with Social/Recreational, Arts, Health and Guidance programs along with our educational programs. The goals and purpose of these programs are as follows:
- The goal of our Social/ Recreation and Arts programs are to develop members’ positive use of leisure time to help them enhance their creativity, self expression and social skills.
- The goal of the health component is to engage members in positive health and eating practices that will help them to sustain healthy minds and bodies.
- The purpose of our Guidance component is to address issues of personal difficulties, and to assist members in the development of self-responsibility, confidence and learning to enact constructive response to life’s challenges. Through our Guidance programs (and our mentoring component as well) we will also endeavor to promote family and community engagement and participation in academic success and positive mental development of members in the academy and at school.